Posting your advert is your first step to finding your new au pair. We’ve added a checklist below, to help you maximise the impact of your advert, and attract more jobseekers.
- Job description – list your children, their genders and ages, and any pets you might have. Be sure to include details about working hours and the tasks your au pair will be expected to perform. The more information the better.
- Job location – more au pairs apply for positions in urban areas, especially Dublin. If you are in the country, but close to a town or city, be sure to mention that in your advert.
- Don’t be too picky – ask yourself, if you want your au pair to stay for 12 months, would you exclude an excellent applicant who could only work for 11 months? If the answer is no, don’t include that requirement in the description.
- Use a friendly tone – a friendlier, informal tone of voice in your advert will attract more applicants. Sounding formal, or strict, may deter applicants.
- Use simple English in your advert – remember, most au pairs don’t speak English as their first language.
- Salary – legally you are required to pay your au pair at least €10.25 per hour, you can subtract up to €54.13 per week, for food and board. Have a look at our salary calculator to figure out how much you should be paying your au pair.
- Photographs – if you have a suitable photo, include it in you advert, your advert will get a lot more views.
- References – if you’ve had an au pair work for you before, and they are willing to act as a reference, mention it in the advert. There is an option to include this when you are posting the job.
- Advert title – ensure you have the job location in the advert title, some au pairs will only scan the titles, and the job location is one of their main details of interest to them.
- “Check out our job” – under every au pair’s mini CV, is a button, “Check out our Job” , clicking this sends a message to the au pair, asking them to check out your job. Sending these messages is free, you can send them to as many au pairs as you want, regardless of your membership plan.
- Promoting your job – use the power of social media to promote your job. At the bottom of your job detail, when you log in, you’ll find buttons to promote your advert on Twitter, Facebook, and Google +.
- Adding your contact details – if you choose to upgrade your account, one of the many benefits you’ll enjoy is being able to add your contact details to the advert, doing this allows anyone viewing your advert, not just site members, to contact you about the role.
Compares your advert with the list above, and if you see anywhere you can improve it, do! Doing so will attract more applicants for the role.